The famous Odeon of Herodes Atticus dominates the western end of the south slope of the Acropolis . It was the third , which was constructed in ancient Athens , after the Odeon of Pericles , also in South Slope (5th century BC.) And the Odeon of Agrippa at the Ancient Agora (15 BC ) . It was built during the 2nd century . AD , with money offered by Tiberius Claudius Atticus Herodes , known son of a great Athenian family and benefactor , in memory of his wife Regilla , who died in 160 AD It is not known the exact date of its construction , but it is certain that this occurred between the date of death of Regilla and 174 AD , the year of the visit to Athens of Pausanias , who referred to the monument with great admiration .
The conservatory, used primarily for music events , it was roofed and had a total capacity of 5,000 persons . Apoteloyse robust construction , which , however, the walls were not compact. Porolithikes stone blocks were forming on both sides of the walls , while the interior was filled with rubble . The auditorium was semicircular in shape, with a diameter of 76 m , and was carved into the rock . With an intermediate corridor width 1.20 m , divided into two tiers , which numbered 32 rows of seats made of marble. The senior corridor hollow probably erected into perimeter Gallery . The orchestra , with a diameter of 19 m , was also a semi-circular shape and was paved with slabs of marble. The stage was elevated and the wall , which has survived to a height of 28 meters , was divided into three floors . In the upper part of the arched openings were at the lower tristyles protection and niches in which statues were placed , according to the tradition that followed the Roman theaters . Flanking the stage were staircases leading to the upper tier of the auditorium. In front of the outer wall of the stage form a gallery, the metaskinio . Mosaics with geometric and linear patterns covering the entrances and stairways metaskiniou . The construction of the monument was very expensive , which is marked by ancient testimonies , which refer mainly to the cedar wood that was used for the roof . The housing of the hollow of the conservatory , with a radius of 38 meters in length , it seems that it brought internal supports , since they have not saved tracks and this configuration remains even for the current season, construction achievement. On the eastern side of the conservatory was connected with the Stoa of Eumenes , roofed edifice was built about three centuries earlier , by King Eumenes of Pergamum ( 197-159 BC ) .
The conservatory was destroyed in 267 AD from the invasion of the Heruli , who burned and destroyed many buildings in ancient Athens , and it was never rebuilt , as in other ancient buildings that had been damaged . In later years the conservatory joined the fortification of the city of Athens. The south wall was incorporated into Roman wall , erected in the 3rd century . AD , while in the 13th century the tall wall of the stage was incorporated into the wall surrounding the base of the Acropolis hill , called Rizokastro . In the 14th century , the embankments covering the lower part of the south wall of the monument were so thick that no distinction between inputs and characterized as a bridge by Niccolo da Martini, Italian traveler . From the conservatory stormed the Acropolis in 1826 K. Fabvier French philellene quarterback , and his soldiers during the siege of the Acropolis from the Turks , Refueling beleaguered Greek food and gunpowder . The excavations at the site of the monument took place in the 19th century by the Archaeological Society and the archaeologist K. Pittakis , and removed large volumes of soil . The monument was restored in the period 1952-1953 with Dionysos marble and from 1957 used for conducting cultural events (concerts , performances of ancient drama , etc. ) mainly in the context of the Athens Festival .